Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Big Daddy and Scuba Steve

Dear Digery, 

I was shooting through web today and came across Scua Steve t shirts from the Adam Sandler BIG DADDY film. For those of you that don't know, Art Asylum was contracted by the production back in 99 to design and fabricate the Scuba Steve character for the film. I was given the sections of the script that the character appeared in and based on what the art director told me went back to my studio to work on it with my team. 

The first designs we brought back were cutting edge robotech manga styled warriors that were kick ass. I was so proud of them. Nothing could have been farther away from what they wanted. LOL! They didn't want cutting edge - they wanted retro 70's. So we went back to the drawing board and cooked up the character that was ultimately seen in the film. 4 of them actually. One doll and 3 stunt doubles! The kid was pretty harsh on the prototypes during filming as was to be expected. 

So - it seems that there are lines of products based on the film character now and everytime i mention the film to someone they remember the character. It was a real high to be involved with this film for myself and my team. I look back on this and i'm proud that this film is one of his best and we had a major hand in creating a character that follows the little boy in almost every scene until Adam Sandler actually shows up as Scuba Steve in the flesh to teach him a lesson!

Peace Love
D

No comments:

Post a Comment